Saturday, September 15, 2007

How to pack for Africa



So, I've got my slacks all together, 10 pairs of underwear, 12 pairs of sturdy socks, 7 button down shirts, fleeces, sandals, text books etc. I'll be packing most of it into my trusty Kelty frame pack (model unknown) that I've had since Boy Scouts. My strategy is to roll or fold the clothes into a rectangular mound. Then use a lightweight sheet to tie it into a neat bundle.



This works well for a couple of reasons; you get to pack a sheet (extremely useful for any trip), the closing mechanism of my pack seems to work better the more stuffed it is. It has two black catches that a drawstring cord hooks under while the upward-bulging load provides tension to keep the string hooked. Simple and ingenious really.


The one unfortunate downside of my kelty pack is it's rather limited compartment space. I would guess 2400 cubic inches. The great thing about an external frame, however is the expandability it offers by way of lashing extra gear wherever it comfortably fits. I used my two clasp buckled belts (which I planned to pack anyway) and an elastic band I salvaged from a flood-damaged photo album to secure my sleeping bag to the outside of the lumbar cradle.


This arrangement works great, I've got room to spare in my pack. A word about air travel. Even though I've checked this bag to Guatemala and China, and never lost any items, I've decided to put the whole thing in a duffel. Not only are the packs extremities protected, but I get to bring an extra bag which may come in handy while I'm in Tanzania and for the return trip. Also, I've packed most metallic items (knives, sharp tweezers, etc.) to the outer pockets. On an X-ray, the inner core should look blank and if security wants to check anything out, they hopefully will skip rooting through the clothes.

Well, that's all for now, I still have to get some gifts for a prospective host family. Ciao.

No comments: